Imagine working in a high-octane, digital-first newsroom competing to dominate news coverage in the Victoria region of B.C. We invite your application for a multimedia journalism position in our Victoria news hub, serving five dynamic community news websites and their respective print publications.
You’ll be joining a breaking news team in a regional hub of 14 journalists and editors in Victoria, a large, progressive city on Vancouver Island that offers all urban amenities as well as outdoor recreation and myriad of other lifestyle opportunities.
- Candidates will have outstanding and diverse writing abilities, specifically aimed at breaking news, fast response and quick turnaround.
- The successful applicant for this entry-level position will be a vital contributor to our websites and social media engagement, working a flexible shift schedule that will include evenings and weekend days.
- Black Press multimedia journalists produce content for highly read digital platforms that are anticipated to generate more than 170 million web page views across western Canada this year.
- Successful candidates will possess an excellent understanding of social media, photography, video and print journalism, including a working knowledge of Photoshop and iMovie.
- Key importance is placed on the ability to maintain ongoing website optimization and the development of fresh content, driving immediacy and audience engagement.
You will hold a formal degree or diploma in journalism or have a communications degree or diploma with experience in a newsroom or fluent CP style, with training in broadcast media a key asset. You’ll be comfortable working in a variety of environments, from hard-hitting news to community coverage that resonates. Extra attention will be given to related newsroom experience – broadcast and/or print. You’re a self-starter and a critical thinker who thrives under deadline pressures.
Candidates must be able to legally work in Canada. A reliable vehicle, valid driver’s licence and cell phone are also mandatory.
Black Press Media offers a competitive remuneration plan coupled with a strong benefits package.
Black Press Media is a leading North American local news champion with operations across British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Washington State, Alaska, and Hawaii. Over 1,500 talented employees work with us to deliver unique community news and information across a full suite of traditional media channels and digital platforms. We value diverse viewpoints, new ways of thinking and a collaborative approach to delivering results.
Interested candidates should send resume, samples and cover letter to:
Editorial Director, Canadian Division
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.