Lakes District News has an opening for a full-time, permanent Multimedia Journalist.
The position, located in Burns Lake, offers a growth opportunity for someone with a passion for storytelling and career aspirations in news reporting or communications. A journalism-related education is an asset, but experience in social media or news broadcasting will also be considered.
This successful candidate will join the largest multimedia news force in British Columbia. Black Press employs 150 journalists in the province and is rapidly expanding its multimedia platforms in addition to long-standing print products.
The successful candidate will show the following skills and talents:
- Superior writing for print and web.
- A demonstrated ability covering breaking news in an online environment.
- Excellent skills in driving website traffic and audience engagement through multimedia news content generation, including SEO and UGC strategies.
- Advanced knowledge of photography, video shooting, and editing. Regular video production is a standard requirement in all Black Press newsrooms.
- The ability to adhere to deadlines and take direction while contributing original story ideas.
- Knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, iMovie, and Canadian Press style.
Burns Lake is a thriving community in northwestern British Columbia that combines boundless outdoor pursuits with a strong sense of community and a rich cultural heritage. Burns Lake also enjoys easy access to larger centres via scenic Highway 16 and a regional airport in Prince George.
Black Press Media is a leading North American local news champion with operations across British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Washington State, Alaska, and Hawaii. Over 1,500 talented employees work with us to deliver unique community news and information across a full suite of traditional media channels and digital platforms. We value diverse viewpoints, new ways of thinking and a collaborative approach to delivering results.
A valid driver’s licence, reliable vehicle and a smartphone are mandatory. Candidates must be able to legally work in Canada.
Send your cover letter, resume, and samples of work to:
Digital Content Editor,
and Mary Kemmis,
President, BC North Division,
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.