The Langley Advance Times is looking for the next up-and-coming journalist to join their high-caliber news team, based in the bustling Lower Mainland. This position is open for applications from journalists at all points in their career, with plenty of mentorship opportunities.
The successful candidate holds excellent communication skills and has keen attention to detail. A passion for community storytelling is a must, so too is eagerness to infuse multimedia into daily coverage.
Key attributes and skills include:
- Excellent knowledge of CP Style and proper grammar.
- Ability to write in an inverted pyramid style with multiple sources and details pulled from a variety of places.
- Thorough understanding of social media, photography, video, and print journalism. Broadcast experience is an asset.
- Understanding of urgency for coverage of breaking news online.
- Initiative and determination to improve and supplement both digital and print platforms.
- Ability to multitask and come up with story pitches.
The successful reporter will be supported by the publisher, as well as the regional editor.
About Langley, B.C.:
One of the fastest developing cities in the region, Langley offers the best of all kinds of lifestyles: A hour-long drive to Vancouver’s concrete jungle and equal distance to the mountain ranges of the Fraser Valley. Local iconic destinations include the historic Fort Langley, the B.C. Farm Museum, and the Canadian Museum of Flight.
About Black Press Media:
Black Press Media is a leading local news champion with operations across British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Washington State, Alaska, and Hawaii. Over 1,500 talented employees work with us to deliver unique community news and information across a full suite of traditional media channels and digital platforms. We value diverse viewpoints, new ways of thinking and a collaborative approach to delivering results.
Our journalists are among the very best in Canada. And we invest in those who excel, offering competitive salary, benefits, and pension packages.
Please send your resume and story clippings to:
B.C. Digital Content Editor
Applicants must be able to legally work in Canada and hold a valid driver’s licence. A reliable vehicle and smartphone are required.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.