The Quesnel Observer is looking for a talented Multimedia Editor who will lead a two-person newsroom to achieve continued success in print and digital news audience growth.
The position, located in Quesnel, offers a growth opportunity for someone who has a passion for news and story-telling.
Quesnel is a thriving hub in central British Columbia that marries boundless outdoor pursuits with easy-access to large-centre amenities. The rich cultural heritage of the area, including the much-storied gold rush trail, makes for unique and varied recreational opportunities. The city also enjoys easy access to larger centres through a close-by busy regional airport and via scenic Highway 16.
We are leveraging our local scale and outstanding journalism to compete aggressively in the digital market, while maintaining core print products that deliver in-depth and engaging content to a wide regional audience.
The Quesnel Cariboo Observer editor will:
- Have a demonstrated ability leading a news team
- Possess excellent understanding of social media, photography, video, and print journalism – broadcast experience is an asset
- Demonstrate initiative and determination to improve and supplement both digital and print platforms
- Produce quality written articles and videos, as well as opinion writing
- Possess excellent editing skills across all platforms
- Have a demonstrated ability in covering breaking news and a strong understanding of the urgency of online news
- Hold a formal journalism degree or diploma
The successful candidate will be able to multi-task and execute in a complex digital and print publishing environment, as part of a network of print and online publications in the beautiful Cariboo region of B.C.
This position reports to the publisher, and is based on 40 hours a week, with some evening and weekend work.
A valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle and a smartphone are necessary.
Black Press Media is a leading North American local news champion with operations across British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Washington State, Alaska, and Hawaii. Over 1,500 talented employees work with us to deliver unique community news and information across a full suite of traditional media channels and digital platforms. We value diverse viewpoints, new ways of thinking and a collaborative approach to delivering results.
We offer competitive salary and benefit packages.
Please send your resume and cover letter to: