This is a prime opportunity to join the largest multimedia reporting force in British Columbia. Black Press employs 150 journalists in the province, and continues to expand its multimedia platforms in addition to long-standing, profitable print products.
The Vanderhoof reporter works with the editor/publisher in a two-person newsroom, as part of a larger regional news team.
The successful applicant will:
- Possess outstanding writing and oral communication skills and a clear understanding of copy-editing, grammar and Canadian Press style. The editor/reporter is responsible for a wide range of writing assignments, photography, video, social media engagement, and page layout.
- Flexibility, attention to detail, and the ability to meet deadlines in a weekly production environment are vital.
- The reporter works closely with the editor/publisher and regional president producing the Omineca Express and Fort St. James Courier, as well as contributing content to sister publications in the region. Proven interpersonal skills representing a newspaper or other organizations at municipal functions and public venues.
The successful candidate will have:
- Outstanding writing skills for print and web.
- A demonstrated ability in covering breaking news in an online environment.
- Excellent skills in driving website trafﬁc and audience engagement through superior multimedia news content generation, including SEO and UGC strategies.
- Advanced knowledge of photography, and video shooting and editing. Regular video production is a standard requirement in all Black Press newsrooms.
- The ability to adhere to deadlines and take direction while contributing original story ideas.
- Knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, iMovie and Canadian Press style.
- Applicants must hold a formal journalism degree or diploma, and broadcast training and experience are distinct assets.
A valid driver’s licence, reliable vehicle and a smartphone are mandatory. We offer competitive salary and benefit packages, and the potential for a relocation allowance.
Vanderhoof is a thriving community in the geographic centre of the province, located an hour away from Prince George. Forestry and agriculture are the economic backbones of the community.
Black Press Media is a leading North American local news champion with operations across British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Washington State, Alaska, and Hawaii. Over 1,500 talented employees work with us to deliver unique community news and information across a full suite of traditional media channels and digital platforms. We value diverse viewpoints, new ways of thinking and a collaborative approach to delivering results.
Those wishing to apply for this position can send their resumes to:
Lorie Williston, BC North President
Please cc your application to:
Editorial Director Black Press Media
Digital Content Editor Black Press Media
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.