Interested in exploring and reporting on one of B.C.’s most beautiful coastal communities? Black Press Media’s Prince Rupert-based position may be the right fit for you.
This position is ideal for any journalist interested in being challenged while growing their storytelling skill sets while satisfying their craving for adventure in a part of Canada many dream of visiting.
The successful applicant will have opportunity to pursue more permanent opportunities in the Black Press Media network upon completion of the year commitment at the Prince Rupert Northern View.
The successful applicant will:
- Possess outstanding writing and oral communication skills and a clear understanding of copy-editing, grammar and Canadian Press style.
- Be responsible for a wide range of writing assignments, photography, video, social media engagement and page layout.
- Have flexibility, attention to detail, and the ability to meet deadlines in a weekly production environment.
- Work with direction from the regional editor, as well as contribute content to sister publications in the region. A proven track record of community interaction and representation of a newspaper or other organization in the community is important.
- Assist and lead the ongoing development of website optimization and content, driving immediacy and fresh content.
- Produce quality written articles and video reports, as well as opinion writing.
Broadcast training and experience is a distinct asset, as well as a working knowledge of photo and video editing softwares.
About Prince Rupert:
A port city on B.C.’s northwest coast, Prince Rupert is referred to as the gateway to wilderness areas like the Khutzeymateen Grizzly Sanctuary bear habitat, as well as a popular feeding area for humpback whales. Year round, Prince Rupert is known for its oceanside beauty.
About Black Press Media:
Black Press Media is a leading North American local news champion with operations across British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Washington State, Alaska, and Hawaii. Over 1,500 talented employees work with us to deliver unique community news and information across a full suite of traditional media channels and digital platforms. We value diverse viewpoints, new ways of thinking and a collaborative approach to delivering results.
We offer competitive salary and benefit packages, as well as the opportunity to advance within the company’s editorial structure.
Expected wage: $48,000 – $52,000 annually.
This position is funded through the Local Journalism Initiative, which supports the creation of original civic journalism that covers the diverse needs of underserved communities across Canada.
Those wishing to apply for this position can send their cover letter and resumes to:
Editorial Director, Canadian Division
Regional Editor, B.C.’s Skeena-Bulkley Valley
Candidates must be able to legally work in Canada. A valid driver’s licence, reliable vehicle and smartphone are mandatory.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.